Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 17:34:27 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Remy Nonnenmacher <remy@boostworks.com>
To:        luigi@info.iet.unipi.it
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxp+bridge: highly suspect syndrom.

On 15 Apr, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>> I'm looking for any idea about a very strange problem:
>
> Remy,
> bridging has been highly broken in 4.x from last summer to approx
> the beginning of february. Most of the times the breakage came out
> when using dummynet, but there were some nasty race conditions
> related, among other things, to passing the ethernet header as a
> pointer into a part of the mbuf which should not be in use.
>
> I suggest upgrading to 4.3 or a recent -stable, this should
> fix things (at least, the bugs that i knew of).

Hello Luigi,

I really doubt the problem is in the bridging code because:

1) Using a dec214X based card solves the problem
2) I carefully read the code and instrumented it to catch any dropping
case. There is none. All is pretty straight forward: peak the packet,
pass the packet. Nothing else.
3) I checked that dummynet and ipfw are not implied in the problem.
(dummynet is even not compiled in).

Anyway, I am building a 4.3-STABLE machine to counter-check. As 4.3
employ the same 4.2-REL code for fxp, I do not expect to see any change
(Else, I'll have to get out, buy a hat, and eat it ;).

Thanks.

RN.
IaM