Date:      Fri, 9 Oct 1998 11:39:37 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Don <don@calis.BlackSun.org>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: interesting quote from http://cnls.lanl.gov/avalon/FAQ.html#A1

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <Pine.BSF.3.96.981008095110.1678B-100000@calis.BlackSun.org> Don writes:
> : Do people actually like arc console? the srm console is so much easier to
> : use and so much more console like in the first place. Does anyone really
> : want to go the direction of menus and such by using a microsoft bios?
>
> Like/dislike has nothing to do with it.  The problem is that there are
> many cheaper machines that simply do not have SRM on them at all.  A
> prudent course would be to support both.  Dec has released enough
> information to write a boot loader for the ARC/Alpha console (and
> microsoft just released enough information to write one for ARC/Mips,
> now that it is dead).

I have plenty of documentation for the thing and I believe that porting
our new bootstrap to ARC would be fairly straightforward.  The main
sticking point is the need for OSF compatible PALcode for each supported
platform.  There is some code available in MILO which could be made to
work (with some effort).  Finding time to work on this is also a
problem...

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Fax:   +44 181 381 1039