Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 1997 19:39:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   "safe" fingerd

I've been hunting around for a finger(d) that will not follow symlinks,
truncate overly long .plan and .project files, etc.

The included one (2.1.7) will happily follow any symlink and seems to have
no limits on how long the .plan/.project file is.  GNU-finger seems even
worse.  Anyone know if what I'm looking for exists?  If I knew my C I'd
modify lprint.c in /usr/src/usr.bin/finger to not follow symlinks and
truncate output, but I just don't know enough C to do this.

Any help/input appreciated,

Charles