Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2012 09:06:32 -0700
From:      Carl Johnson <carlj@peak.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ata controller problem

Gerhard Schmidt <schmidt@ze.tum.de> writes:

> Labels are good for naming Drives but how does it help me if the root
> filesystem changing device ids. I don't think the boot loader is able to
> use the label for the root Filesystem.

>From my fstab:
/dev/ufs/Oak         /          ufs     rw,noatime     1     1
/dev/label/OakSwap   none       swap    sw             0     0

I think any of the other label schemes will also work.  If you don't
remember which label is which device id, then 'glabel status' will show
that, but you shouldn't need to.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org