Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 2011 22:36:43 +0100
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        Brandon Gooch <jamesbrandongooch@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, Xiaodong Yi <xdong.yi@gmail.com>, Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
Subject:   Re: Testing Luvalley with FreeBSD as dom0

On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 02:02:57PM -0600, Brandon Gooch wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de> wrote:

> >> Just wondering if there's been any progress here?  Is it still under
> >> development on FreeBSD?
> >
> > I probably should have posted here when Xiaodong Yi told me a while
> > ago that he no longer has time for Luvalley.  (That mail was some
> > time after I asked him about his last sourceforge release which I
> > couldn't get to run on my hw.)
> >
> >  So I guess you can say this project is now looking for new
> > `volunteers'...
> >
> >  :/
> >        Juergen
>
> Could Luvalley become BSD licensed?

I think parts of its code are based on the Linux kvm kernel bits
so I guess those authors would have to agree too besides the
Luvalley author...  (The linux kernel is only gplv2 tho not gplv3
and it seems Linus wants it to stay that way.)

 Oh and also IANAL but since the Luvalley `kernel' (hypervisor)
runs on bare metal and boots any dom0 kernel/os (i.e. Linux or
FreeBSD) pretty much the same way how a pc bios boots them I
somehow doubt it would `taint' the FreeBSD kernel.  (And the dom0
kernel also doesn't need any patches, you only then run the Luvalley
version of qemu-kvm in the dom0's userland.)

 HTH,
	Juergen