Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 20:24:54 +0200 (MESZ)
From:      "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>
To:        randyd@nconnect.net (Randy DuCharme)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Shells shells shells?

E-mail message from Randy DuCharme contained:
> Greetings,
> I just downloaded and read one person's opinion of the C shell.  I
> understand that a question like this can lead to a potential war as
> there's probably a great deal of 'personal opinion' surrounding the
> person new to UNIX.  (by new I'm implying that I'm unaccustomed to
> any particular shell and will be learning whatever shell from the
> ground up)  I've been using tcsh up until now as I like one of its
> features... namely the 'up arrow' recalling the previously typed
> commands.  I also chose tcsh thinking that my knowledge of C would
> possibly be of some benefit.  However, now that I'm beginning the
> journey of learning scripting, and based on what I just read, I'm
> wondering if there's not a better choice???
>
> Opinions?

Well, you just asked for one :)

I personally find csh based shells to be nice interactive environments.
They are also capable of some scripting (simple things, some
automation of daily processing, etc.)

With time I have switched to sh based shell for heavier scripts, and
perl if I have to make some real programs that don't deserve to be
written in C.

At some point in time I was into rexx and dcl, but I don't like to
disclose my dark past so openly :)

/Marino