Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 1995 11:24:55 -0400
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   A performance mystery

>   Try running ``iozone 128 8192'' to make sure you get well outside of
>   the buffer cache.  I remeber you had a lot of memory in this box
>   so your iozone read results where most likely pure cache unless you
>   ran something other than auto.  Better yet run it on the raw disk to
>   see what the drive can really deliver.

Iozone was run with "200" to work on 200mb files, to ensure the memory had no
real effect.  Both systems we're freshly formatted about an hour before the
test using the 2.0.5A installer.  With the iozone numbers being so equivlant
(Seacrate 2.3mb write/4.2 read, Connor 2.2write/4.3 read [all within test
noise])  its probably not the disk.

-Crh

--

    Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu