Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2003 23:59:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      "apellido jr., wilfredo p" <hazecast@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD data size tuning

Hello,

I have PIII 500 with 1GB of RAM on 4.9-RELEASE
running Squid 2.5-STABLE4 and I got this error after a
few hours of Squid running.

proxy (squid): xmalloc: Unable to allocate 65535
bytes!

According to Squid FAQ

8.7 xmalloc: Unable to allocate 4096 bytes!
by Henrik Nordstrom

Messages like "FATAL: xcalloc: Unable to allocate 4096
blocks of 1 bytes!" appear when Squid can't allocate
more memory, and on most operating systems (inclusive
BSD) there are only two possible reasons:

1. The machine is out of swap
2. The process' maximum data segment size has been
reached

I got 2500MB swap file and isnt used when i try to use
the cmd top. How do i recompile a kernel with larger
datasize settings?

here's the options that i added im my kernel

maxusers        128
options         USER_LDT
options         DUMMYNET
options         IPFIREWALL
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100
options         IPFIREWALL_FORWARD
options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
options         IPDIVERT
options         HZ=80
options         NMBCLUSTERS=65536

sysctl.conf

vfs.vmiodirenable=1
kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=2097152
kern.ipc.somaxconn=8192
kern.ipc.maxsockets=16424
kern.maxfiles=65536
kern.maxfilesperproc=32768
net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=1
net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0
net.inet.tcp.sendspace=65535
net.inet.tcp.recvspace=65535
net.inet.udp.recvspace=65535
net.inet.udp.maxdgram=57344
net.local.stream.recvspace=65535
net.local.stream.sendspace=65535

loader.conf

userconfig_script_load="YES"
hw.ata.wc="1"

Squid Configuration

cache_mem 384

thanks very much ....

=====
wilfredo pahilanga apellido jr.
technical support
mactan online
bacolod city, philippines
+63 34 4348311

If you can't hear me, it's because i'm in parentheses.