Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 1999 09:17:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        SMilliken@sti.imshealth.com (Milliken, Scott)
Cc:        eakeyson@mail1.nai.net ('eakeyson'), stable@FreeBSD.ORG ('stable@freebsd.org')
Subject:   Re: @Home Connect.

> Ed,
> 	You can either not complain when the service goes out (which it does
> quite a bit in Atlanta, but I have no other high speed alternative) or you
> can lie and tell them that you are running Windows 95.  As far as the
> services go, I only run ssh at home since that will allow me to log in to
> the box and to use scp for transferring files.  The "gotcha" in the AUP is
> that they leave a clause at the bottom stating that they can change it at
> any time without notification.  I was told that I could stop the
> web/telnet/ftp services or they could take back their cable modem.  In other
> words, their tech support department seems to favor hiring cocky jerks.

But they have no idea that you might be using these web/telnet/ftp services
for your own internal ``home'' network.  Just becuase a port scan, done
in violation of several federal laws no less (see other email from me
for specific statutes, turns up these services it does not prove you have
violated the AUP.

Furthermore, unless @Home has registered as a CLEC/IXC or some other form
of telecommunications provider they are in violation of many more federal
and state laws.  This is currently being reviewed by the FCC, and expect
some more laws specifically to cover these folks, but the second a cable
company starts piping bi-directional data sold to a consumer they are
technically a ``carrier'' and required authority to operate as one.  Most
of them do not have this status and could be in deep water very soon...
a call to you local PUC about the above mentioned even may get your local
PUC off it's duff...

Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                    rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net