Date:      Thu, 01 Mar 2012 10:24:30 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 9-R pxeboot fails with 'Mounting root filesystem rw failed'...

Hi,

I've got a 9.0-R amd64 system I'm trying to netboot / pxeboot from the
network, to install other machines (and do fixups etc.)

I set this up as we setup previous versions here - but setting up a tftp
server, and nfs server - and 'dumping' the contents of the install CD to a
directory on the dhcp server, which is exported via nfs (it's exported as
read/write).

The system kind of boots, but falls over with:

"
Interface em0 IP-Address 192.168.0.47 Broadcast 192.168.0.255
Entropy harvesting: interrupts ethernet point_to_pick kickstart.
Starting file system checks:
mount_nfs: no <host>:<dirpath> nfs-name
Mounting root filesystem rw failed, startup aborted
ERROR: ABORTING BOOT (sending SIGTERM to parent)!
Mar  1 118:10 init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to
single user mode
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
"

It looks like it's failing to 'remount' / promote the root file system as
read/write (It's definitely exported as read/write - I've tested it by
mounting it on another machine). If you start a shell at this point and run
mount, you get:

"
192.168.0.37:/usr2/netboot/os/9.0-amd64 on / (nfs, read-only)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, multilabel)
"

Is there something I have to set (e.g. in '/etc/rc.conf') in order to fix
this?

Previous systems setup this way would always boot through to the sysinstall
menu.

Thanks,

-Karl