Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 09:17:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, Ben Schumacher <ben@henshaw.net>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netgraph based MAC authentication

Julian Elischer writes:
> > > I'm working on a project where I need to be able to authenticate people by
> > > their MAC address against a RADIUS server.  While looking into the best way
> > > to develop this, I starting toying around with netgraph and think it is the
> > > perfect framework for what I'm trying to do.  Basically what I'm going to
> > > need to do (AFAIK) is divert the packets coming from one ethernet card
> > > (dc0) to my netgraph node, verify their MAC address, and then push their
> > > packet on its way.  However, I'm still not entirely certain how to
> > > implement this.
> >
> > You might be able to do this without writing your own node.
> > Just use ng_bpf(4) and maintain the BPF program to match the
> > MAC addresses you want to accept.
>
> I haven't yet been able to work out how to set rules into
> it.... ( I guess you need to get the compiled bpf program
> from tcpdump and somehow load it into the node,
> but I don't see a way of doing that yet)

For an example of how to do it, load the net/mpd-netgraph port
on your machine and look at the "gDemandProg" variable in the
file src/ngfunc.c.

This example shows a static BPF program (to determine if an
outgoing packet consitutes "demand") but you could easily
write your own "assembler" to generate the BPF program
dynamically.

-Archie