Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 19:02:55 GMT
From:      "M. Sebastian Comella" <xsiv4ce@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   printer issues

hello all -

	First off, I apologize if I am bringing up an old question, I searched the
archives and such to no avail...

	I am running a new Dell Dimension 4100 system with FreeBSD 4.1.  The Dell
came with a Canon BJC-4110 printer; unfortunately, Canon chose to only
ensure compatibility with Windows and Macintosh computers.

	The printer is recognized at boot time (proper information about the
printer is shown for the printer port), but when trying to perform tests
(i.e., lptest > /dev/ulpt0), there is no response from the printer, and no
error messages either.  I have tried to use the printer with both usb and
parallel port connections, but I receive the same result for each.

	I know the printer functions on its own (printing internally-stored test
pages and such), and I know the communication is ok (as indicated by the
messages at boot); it just seems that something is being lost when the data
hits the printer...Do I need to find (or write) a driver for this device, or
some similar action?  If so, I would appreciate it if someone could direct
me to the proper resources.  I'm hoping for it to be a stupid error (as
those are easiest to fix), so please...humble me!  :)

	Sorry about the length of the question, I just wanted to make sure that I
left no data out.  (I probably still did of course, but that's the way of
it...)  Thanks in advance for your time.

		Sincerely,

		matthew sebastian "smash" comella.