Date:      Mon, 02 Jul 2018 19:10:41 +0300
From:      Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology>
To:        Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>
Cc:        x11-list freebsd <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Does either Gnome or KDE support Wayland on FreeBSD? [EOM]

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 1:44 AM, Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com> wrote:
>=20
> On 01/07/2018 21:48, Greg V wrote:
>>=20
>> On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 2:45 PM, Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>=20
>> wrote:
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Building ports isn't a problem, however I don't understand how=20
>>> =7F=7Fparticular apps can work with Wayland. I thought that they would=20
>>> need =7F=7Fto run inside Weston or some other compositor, which in turn=
=20
>>> runs on =7F=7FWayland? Is the X server in that configuration running as=
=20
>>> a Wayland =7F=7Fclient with with the GTK3 apps running outside of the X=
=20
>>> server (i.e. =7F=7Fare managed by the compositor directly)?
>>=20
>> Yes, you can run them inside e.g. Weston or Sway.
>>=20
>> Compositors don't run "on" Wayland, Wayland is a protocol.
>> The compositor is the display server, it implements the server side=20
>> of =7FWayland.
>> (Compositors can run in windowed mode under X or under another=20
>> Wayland =7Fcompositor, for development/debugging purposes.)
>>=20
>> For backwards compatibility, the X server is indeed running as a=20
>> =7FWayland client, this is called Xwayland, this is optional.
>>=20
>> About KDE: I think KDE's kwin_wayland is available now too, but I'm=20
>> =7Fnot sure if it would run directly as the main display server (not=20
>> =7Fwindowed mode) right now on FreeBSD without additional patches=20
>> =7F(because of vt/session management stuff -- though maybe ConsoleKit2=20
>> =7Fmight work?).
>>=20
>=20
> Thanks Greg for the clarification. Let me rephrase it to see if I got=20
> it right. Currently FreeBSD supports Wayland compositor in windowed=20
> mode under X and this is how the GTK3 applications are running. It=20
> might support Wayland as the main display server (not windowed), i.e.=20
> using KDE's kwin_wayland, but the status is currently not known.

I'm currently running Weston as the main display server, so that is=20
known :)
Well, my fork of weston actually: https://github.com/myfreeweb/weston
Sway 0.x also worked, 1.x (master) should work too, unless they broke=20
something.

The only unknown is KDE KWin ("might just work with ConsoleKit2?").
I guess I should look into that, but I'm busy with other stuff..

GNOME is definitely not supported ("needs patching to support=20
ConsoleKit2 or some other alternative to systemd-logind").
That's actually the main porting issue in general, many compositors use=20
logind, some (like gnome) *only* use logind.

> If that's correct, then assuming that I compiled my ports with=20
> support for Wayland enabled, and assuming further that I have 11.2=20
> installed, what else would I need to do to be able to test this?
>=20
> I guess I need to compile and install drm-next-kmod or=20
> drm-stable-kmod. Will either work on generic 11.2 or I need a custom=20
> kernel? I guess again that the later should work with the generic=20
> kernel but it will only supports Polaris Radeon cards. If I recall=20
> correctly Hans Petter Selasky was working on merging support for=20
> Radeon Vega (Linux kernel 4.15) into 11-STABLE (future 11.3). If that=20
> is correct and the merge was completed then I could compile a custom=20
> 11-STABLE kernel and together with the 11.2 userland be able to test=20
> windowed Wayland on Vega?

For windowed mode, you don't need anything special.

But for *anything on Vega*, you do need drm-next-kmod.

LinuxKPI updates required for drm-next-kmod 4.15 have indeed been=20
merged into 11-STABLE:=20
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=3Drevision&revision=3D335436

Vega support is still not as stable as <=3DPolaris, btw:

https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/kms-drm/issues/76
https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/kms-drm/issues/71

=