Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2000 08:53:40 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Peter J Jones <p@dancris.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Toshiba Tecra 8100 and Xircom CreditCard 10/100

Peter,

You don't say exactly which Xircom card you are using. If it's a
RealPort-1 card (RE-100), it should work fine with 3.4. I have not had
any problems with mine since I figured out the incantations for the
kernel and the pccard.conf file. NOTE: This is not PAO. It's standard
3.4-Release.

In the kernel configuration, uncomment the line for xe0 and comment
out the zp0 and ze0 lines. Then go to pccard.conf and set a hard IRQ
for the card. 10 seems to usually work, but for some systems 9 and 11
might be magic. If you system can boot windows, I would suggest doing
so, checking the IRQ used, and using the same one in FreeBSD. Don't
specify the IRQ to the kernel, but put in the pccard.conf. The lines
in pccard.conf.sample are fine except for the '?' that should be
replaced with the desired IRQ value.

Rebuild the kernel and reboot. Also, subscribe to the xircom-specific
mailing list <xircom-freebsd@lovett.com> and/or see the Xircom-FreeBSD
web pages at http://ukug.uk.freebsd.org/~scott/xe_drv/. Note that you
don't need to download the driver if you are running 3.4 as it is now
in the distribution.

Forcing the IRQ seems to fix more problems with this card than
anything else.

Also, you probably don't want to run CURRENT or to install 4.0 when
it's released in a couple of weeks as the driver is known not to work
with 4.0.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)