Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 2003 15:09:54 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Jason Fesler <jfesler@gigo.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Firewire on STABLE: Sane for drive-based backups?

On Sunday 12 October 2003 10:41, Jason Fesler wrote:
> I did not have much luck on digging through the archives. Does anyone have
> any sucess stories on using external firewire drives on the stable branch
> of freebsd?  Does hot swap work?  Can I mount, dd or ufsdump or
> newfs/rsync, then umount and unplug it cleanly?

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

> I'm considering my options for doing once-a-month backups, and tape just
> totally blows the budget.  I'm currently using a second drive to produce
> snapshots, but that doens't leave me with any off-site backups without
> taking the system down to swap drives.

Firewire enclosures + hard disks are quite cost effective in my experience.

I have used a Maxtor "external hard disk" and a "Mapower" one -
http://www.mapower.com.tw/ - (both have the same chip in them), if I was
going to swap harddisks over a lot I would probably stump up for a "Drive
dock" though -> http://www.wiebetech.com/products/firewiredrivedock.html

They end up looking like SCSI disks, they perform very well (eg 20-30Mb/sec at
fairly low CPU usage).

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5