Date:      Mon, 15 Aug 2011 00:44:34 +0100
From:      "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
To:        "Attilio Rao" <attilio@freebsd.org>, "Jeremy Chadwick" <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: debugging frequent kernel panics on 8.2-RELEASE

----- Original Message -----
From: "Attilio Rao" <attilio@freebsd.org>
> Anyway, we really would need much more information in order to take a
> proactive action.

> Would it be possible to access to one of the panic'ing machine? Is it
> always the same panic which is happening or it is variadic (like: once
> page fault, once fatal double fault, once fatal trap, etc.).

They are always double fault, 99% of the time with no additional info
we've seen 1 mention of java on one of the machines but the vmcore
didn't seem to mention anything to do with that after dump.

My colleague informs me when he did the upgrade to add in schedule
stop patch, pretty much every machine paniced when shutting the
java servers down, which is essentially a jail stop.

I've also had two panics when rebooting my test machine to change
kernel settings, although this could be a side effect of the scheduler
patch?

This single test machine is now running with the following none standard
settings:-
options     INVARIANTS
options     INVARIANT_SUPPORT
options     DDB
options     KSTACK_PAGES=12

I've got several vmcores from a number or different machines but none
seem to be any use, as they don't seem to list any thread that caused
the panic i.e. no mention of dump, or fault.

Is there something else in particular I should be looking for?

Circumstantial evidence seems to indicate uptime may to be a factor,
machines under 2 days seem much less likely to panic.

    Regards
    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster@multiplay.co.uk.