Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2000 15:16:07 +1000
From:      Danny <dannyh@idx.com.au>
To:        "leegold" <goldtech@worldpost.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: getting connected

- hello
- that means you have to delete the .lock file
- to do that simply "cd /home/yourusername/.netscape/
- Then "rm lock"

Then it should work

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, leegold wrote:
> having  a problem w/ppp. as root I,
> went into ppp.conf and changed USERNAME, PASSWORD, PHONE_NUM to the values
> for my isp. then i did a ppp, dial papchap. i did no other configuration.
>
> i then as "lee" ( not as root ) i started X (fvwm2) w/ netscape &.
>
> i did connect, but can't really surf. netscape says:
>
> Netscape has detected a /home/lee/.netscape/lock file This may indicate
> another user is running netscape using your /home/lee/.netscape files.It
> appears to be running on host 192.168.1.2 under process ID 889. you may
> continue to use Netscape but you can not diskcatch, not use global history,
> or personal certificates.
>
> the 192.168.1.2  is my ethernet card - which i configured durring install
> w/a made up domain name (ham-on-rye.local)too. but i have not used the
> ethernet card so far.
>
> my root window manager is kde, but under my normal user (who can su via
> wheel) i use fvwm2 - which i prefer.
>
> can anyone help me out to get netscape running ok?
> THANKS - newbie
>
> btw, my isp uses dhcp,dns the  whole caboodle

You are not authorized to use my email address for spam or any purpose
whatsoever. Remove my email address from your databases immediately and do
not attempt to email me in any way.