Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 10:48:09 +1100
From:      Benno Rice <benno@jeamland.net>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        bpechter@shell.monmouth.com, sparc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Sparc port going 64 bit

On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 11:34:44AM -0700, John Baldwin wrote:

> On 25-Oct-00 Bill Pechter wrote:

[snip]

> > Not to disagree, but the Alpha is it at this time.  Period.
> >
> > Anyone have FreeBSD running on an IA-64 at this time in real production?
> > Does intel use it in production yet?  Bet they're not yet.
>
> Does a production IA-64 exist yet?  No.  As far as porting goes,
> getting a platform to boot into single user mode and do an 'ls'
> on a memory disk is quite an achievement.  Other OS's have
> ports that don't get that far.
>
> > Hell, the chip's not even available to us everyday folks.
> >
> > as far as PowerPC --
> > Anyone have it running on a PowerPC box at this time in production?
>
> Not yet, no.  They do have the loader ported and running though on
> a G3 or G4 (not sure which one Benno is using).

G3.  One of the latest batch of iMacs.
The loader boots, and hopefully by tonight will be able to do something close
to network loads.  Then I start on the kernel, or add disk support.  Not
sure which yet. =)

--
Benno Rice                                      "No, no. We're *sweet* and
XNFP Aries Dark Subculture-                      *innocent* evil bastards."