Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:09:24 -0500
From:      Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KVM over IP (Was: Re: adding keyboard after reboot with no keyboard) ...

At 02:11 PM 4/10/2007, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>Does anyone know of a reasonably priced one?  Our newer servers, we've been
>using HP servers, so that we have this built in, but I have 6 older servers
>that I'd love to be able to deal with remotely without headaches ... I only
>need to be able to access one at a time ...
>
>I've tried the 'serial console' route, but if the server crashes, logging
>in to
>the serial console doesn't show you anything, whereas, with the HP 'remote
>console' feature, its the same as a KVM, where running it does a screen
>refresh, so that I can see what is on the screen at the time of the crash ...

The simplest thing you can do is to make sure you are logging the console
messages.  I set all remote servers to log the actual console output to a
separate log file in /etc/syslog.conf adding the line:
console.info                                    /var/log/console.log

and adding a line to /etc/newsyslog.conf to rotate the logs:
/var/log/console.log                    600  5     100  *     J

         -Derek

believed to be clean.