Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2001 18:59:52 +0100
From:      Declan Kelly <dec@groov.ie>
To:        Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bandwidth analysis, traffic shaping

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 01:56:49PM -0400, Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net> wrote:

>     I'd really like a way to "nice" individual uploads or downloads.
> There's dummynet, but that's not quite what I'm after.

The dsniff package includes 2 tools called tcpnice(8) and tcpkill(8) -
what nice(1) and kill(1) do to processes, these do to TCP connections.

They use the same host and port rules as tcpdump(1), so you probably
already know how to specify only certain TCP connections to be reniced
or torn down.

You might also want to look at Hogwash, a packet laundry tool which
uses the Snort engine and sits on top of the network driver - no IP
stack required.

--
|)ec.
---  <dec@groov.ie>
        "unauthorized duplication, while sometimes necessary,
         is never as good as the real thing." - ani difranco