Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:03:11 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        n@nectar.com (Jacques Vidrine)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel BOOTP

> Hi,
>
> I'm attempting to boot a machine off the floppy, and mount all filesystems
> over NFS.  The network card is supported by the kernel xl driver, but not
> by the netboot code.  Therefore, I created a kernel with the BOOTP and
> BOOTP_NFSROOT options and put it on a floppy.
>
> The reply from the BOOTP server is not being received (i.e. ``BOOTP
> timeout for server 0xffffffff'').  The client and the BOOTP server are
> on the same network.

there's a chicken and egg problem -- the bootp server is responding to
the client's IP address and the latter refuses the reply because it
does not know its address (some servers solve the problem by replying
to the broadcast address 255.255.255.255, but not all of them and
apparently not the one in FreeBSD).

You need another option, BOOTP_COMPAT or so, to enable your machine to
accept packets before the network card is assigned an address. Look in
/sys/i386/conf/LINT.

> Is there any documentation for use of kernel BOOTP?  Is anyone using it
> successfully?

something is at http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/FreeBSD.html/

	cheers
	luigi