Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2012 01:06:33 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Sean Cavanaugh <Millenia2000@hotmail.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, 'Mr U' <mru258@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: how to speed up port make??

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 18:59:56 -0400, Sean Cavanaugh wrote:
> Got you beat. Compiled world on a 100MHz Pentium with 40 MB of RAM.

I think I can: FreeBSD 4 on a Pentium 1 with 64 MB EDO RAM.
The make buildworld took 24 hours. The kernel itself, if I
remember correctly, required 3-5 hours, of course without
much tweaking. :-)

> I gave
> up after 4 days and just went with prebuilt after that.

Precompiled packages are very helpful on such systems. Only
"top level ports" that _need_ compiling should be touched
(e. g. mplayer due to the options). With today's FreeBSD OS,
you can do many things by control files (loader.conf et al.)
which previously required at least rebuilding the kernel
(e. g. firewall, divert).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany