Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2008 16:41:37 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, root@solink.ru
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.0 on DVD

Hello,

I'm replying both to the KOI8-R charset problem and to
the 7.0 DVD question.  Please skip the part(s) that
you're not interested in.  :-)

Bachilo Dmitry <root@solink.ru> wrote:
 > Julian H. Stacey wrote:
 > > Bachilo Dmitry wrote:
 > was no such prublem before

I think the problem is that your mail uses the charset
"KOI8-R", and Julian's MUA doesn't know how to handle
that.  Maybe you should configure your mailer to send
plain ASCII when mailing to international (English-
sepaking) lists?

On the other hand, my client doesn't send plain ASCII
either, but ISO8859-1 (or -15, depending on the type of
terminal I'm sitting at).  I'm not aware of any problems
caused by that.

In fact KOI8-R is a superset of ASCII (just like the
ISO8859-* and Windows-1252 character sets).  So such
messages can be displayed as-is if they don't contain
characters beyond 7bit ASCII.  I think metamail is
clever enough to just do that.  At least it does that
for me; I had no problems displaying Bachilo Dmitry's
message, except for a few characters (cyrillic, I guess)
in the attribution line that were converted to question
marks.  Not a big deal.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with EXMH, so I don't know
if this is helpful information.  Does EXMH call metamail
for MIME-formatted messages, or does it try handle them
itself?

BTW, I'm surprised that it simply seems to display the
raw base64 data.  If it doesn't know how to handle the
charset, it should either display the decoded data as-is,
or don't display it at all and give an error message.
I'm sure there's something that needs to be configured.

OK, now to the DVD topic.  :-)

 > > to http://www.freebsdmall.com/cgi-bin/fm
 > > and you can "Pre-Order FreeBSD 7.0 DVD"

By the way, Lehmanns (www.lob.de) will produce a DVD-ROM
of FreeBSD 7.0 shortly after release (page is in German):
http://www.lob.de/cgi-bin/out?isbn=386541263
They're in Germany, though, so it probably doesn't make
sense for you to order there.

 > If I only could now download 7.0-RC2 DVD and Install it on
 > some server right now, that would be a pleasure, but I will
 > have to work as a CD-changer instead.

I'm not sure I understand you here.  You only need one CD
(the one labelled "disk1").  It contains everything you
need to install the FreeBSD base system and the ports
collection.  Then you can configure network and install
ports or packages from the internet.  All of that can be
done remotely, there is no need to change CDs.

The other CDs are optional.  They contain documentation
and packages for those people who prefer to install them
from CD instead of from the internet.  For example when
you don't have a sufficiently good uplink at home, you
can download the ISOs at work or at a friend, then carry
the CDs home and install from them.

Best regards
   Oliver

"We will perhaps eventually be writing only small modules which are identi-
fied by name as they are used to build larger ones, so that devices like
indentation, rather than delimiters, might become feasible for expressing
local structure in the source language." -- Donald E. Knuth, 1974