Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2001 12:01:10 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/32435: Answer frequently asked question about burning CDs

>Number:         32435
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Answer frequently asked question about burning CDs
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD jodie.ncptiddische.net 4.4-STABLE FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #0: Sat Dec 1 11:12:19 CET 2001 root@poison.ncptiddische.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/JODIE i386

	Recently, I often saw (and answered) a specific question about
	burning CDs on -question. Users tended to burn raw files (for example
	tarballs) to CDs, and then wondered why they couldn't mount the
	CD under FreeBSD or access the data on it under a different
	operating system. Although there is a chapter about burning CDs in
	the handbook, I prepared a FAQ entry that explains how such
	"raw" CDs are to be used, and how to actually create a "real"
	ISOFS CD then can be mounted under FreeBSD and is also
	accessible under other operating systems.

>How-To-Repeat:
	Read the -questions archives and count how often this
	question was added during the last few weeks...

>Fix:
	Apply this diff to faq/book.sgml:

*** book.sgml	Sun Dec  2 11:24:14 2001
--- book_new.sgml	Sun Dec  2 11:51:35 2001
***************
*** 3667,3672 ****
--- 3667,3707 ----
        </qandaentry>

        <qandaentry>
+       <question id="burncd-isofs">
+       <para>I burned a CD under FreeBSD and now I can not read it under any other operating
+        system. Why?</para></question>
+
+        <answer>
+        <para>Most likely, you burned a raw file to your CD, probably by using a command
+         like:</para>
+
+
+ 	<para>CDs are sometimes burned that way, espeically for backup purposes.
+ 	 In order to retrive the data burned to the CD in the above manner, you'd have to use
+ 	 a command like:</para>
+
+
+ 	 <para>If you want to be able to mount your CD under FreeBSD or use it under a different
+ 	  operating system, however, this method will not work. Instead, you will have to create
+ 	  an ISO 9660 filesystem from the files to be burned to your CD first. In order to do that,
+ 	  you will first have to install the <filename>sysutils/mkisofs</filename> port. Once that
+ 	  has been done, you can issue a command like:</para>
+
+
+
+
+ 	<para>The resulting CD can be mounted under FreeBSD like any other normal CD, and it will work
+ 	 under other operating systems as well.</para>
+ 	</answer>
+ 	</qandaentry>
+
+ 	<qandaentry>
          <question id="printer-slow">
            <para>My printer is ridiculously slow. What can I do?</para>
          </question>

>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:
 SEND-PR: -*- send-pr -*-
 SEND-PR: Lines starting with `SEND-PR' will be removed automatically, as
 SEND-PR: will all comments (text enclosed in `<' and `>').
 SEND-PR:
 SEND-PR: Please consult the send-pr man page `send-pr(1)' or the Texinfo
 SEND-PR: manual if you are not sure how to fill out a problem report.
 SEND-PR: Note that the Synopsis field is mandatory.
 SEND-PR:
 SEND-PR: Please note that (unless you state otherwise) if your report
 SEND-PR: includes a patch then it will be taken under the same license as
 SEND-PR: the one on the file(s) you want to change.
 SEND-PR:
 SEND-PR: Choose from the following categories:
 SEND-PR:
 SEND-PR: advocacy alpha    bin      conf     docs     gnu
 SEND-PR: i386     kern     misc     ports    sparc
 SEND-PR:
 To: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
 From: Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
 Cc: