Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 2003 16:07:27 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mplayer

Michal Pasternak wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I suppose, that we all like to watch movies in divx format - or share short
>.avis or .mpegs among our friends. As I recall, I've seen many cases, that
>Windows user was either unable to watch the movie I've sent/borrowed to
>him/her or had many problems with installing correct codecs (or even finding
>them).
>
>Did you have similar experiences? If the answer is "yes" - well, here's one
>more point for "FreeBSD on desktop" advocates: users encounter less problems
>with movies while running FreeBSD.

Agreed - mplayer on FreeBSD runs flawlessly (for me anyway), and I've
played several types of movies and media with it.

However, I'd love for someone to write up a "converting your mpeg stream
to divx on FreeBSD" article.  I don't know how to do this really, but
I'd love to help figure it out.  I'd love to be able to take my favorite
movie with me on my laptop when I'm traveling, without having to carry
the DVD disc around..

Eric

All generalizations are false, including this one.