Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 13:59:37 -0800
From:      bmah@freebsd.org (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>, jim@osd.bsdi.com, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Supported hardware list(s)

--==_Exmh_2134255840P

If memory serves me right, Nik Clayton wrote:

> > I think the end goal is a good one.  I was working on this issue from a
> > slightly different angle.  I talked with a few people at BSDCon about
> > the subject of fixing up the *.TXT files, specifically, doing them up in
> > DocBook.  The goal of this exercise would be to produce a smaller set of
> > files for the release notes (e.g. one file total, not one per platform)
> > and hardware lists which is customized when output is generated to apply
> > to different plaforms.  Also, we could do "better looking" release notes
> > in PDF, PS, HTML, TXT, and so forth, possibly with some help from the
> > stylesheet gurus amongst us.
>
> Also, we can do this
>
>     http://www.BSDI.COM/products/internet/hardware/
>
> (web based interactive hardware database).

What's the database for this look like?  It's not DocBook is it?

> > I got some weak agreement to this idea, then I went off and did some
> > DocBook coding, and then got bogged down in Real Work (TM).  (Note:  I'm
> > still in that mode.)  I've put a snapshot of my work at:
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/relnotes.tar.gz
>
> Looks like a good start.

Thanks.  I've made a little more progress on this, and updated my
snapshot (same place).  Right now I'm trying to mark-up the release
notes for -CURRENT.

> > Other things I'm stalled on:  Lack of time (of course), and experience
> > at doing the SGML markup.  Also the myriads of hardware info lists would
> > need to be consolidated.  Finally, the doc tree as it stands is not
> > branched (a la CVS), but putting release notes in the doc tree would
> > mandate it.  (Putting it in the src tree doesn't automatically solve
> > the problem, because I think there's some dependencies on some files,
> > such as style sheets or entity definitions, that only live in the doc
> > tree.)
>
> I don't really want to see the doc/ tree branched.  However, the
> osversion* attributes should let us support this, and I have some
> experimental support for this working right now.  I'll send a separate
> message out for that.  Then there's no need to branch.

OK.  I've gotten the DocBook-ified release notes prototype to build
elsewhere other than doc/, and, after thinking about it, I don't think
we need to branch doc/.  Release notes can go in src/release/
${SOMETHING} and they can be branched like the rest of src/.

More concerns of mine:  I am not real happy with the HTML and PDF
output; there seems to be an excessive amount of whitespace.  This,
coupled with a desire on my part to make the hardware lists formatted
more consistently, is going to wind us up with a release notes document
about 30-40 pages long (PDF version).  Gack.

I'm also wondering about losing the semantics of entries in the
hardware list; <itemizedlist><listitem></listitem></itemizedlist>
doesn't really convey the underlying meaning that there's certain types
of hardware with certain concrete examples listed.  Should I care about
this at all?  At least with more consistent formatting, we can change
this later if there's some set of tags that we think are more useful.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_2134255840P

--==_Exmh_2134255840P--