Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2012 14:45:21 +0100
From:      Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
To:        Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: uname -r output values?

On 21 Dec 2012, at 18:51, Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com> wrote:

> Fleuriot Damien wrote:
>=20
>> On Dec 21, 2012, at 2:36 PM, Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com> wrote:
>>> When issuing the uname -r command what are the different values possible=
 to expect?
>>>=20
>>> So far I have this list.
>>>=20
>>> Where X.X =3D major release . Sub release numbers
>>> Where y =3D number 1 through 9
>>>=20
>>> X.X-BETAy
>>> X.X-RCy
>>> X.X-RELEASE
>>> X.X-RELEASE-py
>>> X.X-PRERELEASE
>>> X.X-CURRENT
>> mybsd dam  ~
>> $ uname -r
>> 8.2-STABLE
>=20
> How did you create this 8.2-STABLE system?
>=20
> I don't see any .iso file for=20

Instructions given already by Devin.

Basically, STABLE is a good compromise between running the latest version (1=
0-CURRENT if you're on 9, or 9.x if you're on 8), and running a RELEASE that=
 gets updated very slowly.

I've never had bad surprises with STABLE and encourage running it instead of=
 RELEASE if you want the latest patches.

Note that on occasion, STABLE will be replaced by BETA or RC.

For example 8.2-STABLE became 8.3-RC1 at some point, then 8.3-RC1 ceased to e=
xist altogether and was renamed to 8.3-STABLE (discounting any other release=
 candidates here).