Date:      Thu, 04 Mar 2010 11:09:28 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Olivier GARNIER <oli.garnier@free.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RS232 / TCP converter and BSD.

Olivier GARNIER wrote:
> I have a weather station (Lacross WS2350). (can be connect by USB / RS232).
> I want to get data from a FreeBSD server 70 meter from the weather
> station (with http://www.wviewweather.com/ software).
> I already have a RJ45 cable between the two objects.

You can simply connect a RS-232 serial port via ethernet cable using 9-pin DIN
to RJ-45 connector adaptors at both ends.  No need to convert the serial data
stream into TCP/IP over ethernet.

Data centers use that for serial connections to stuff like Cisco routers and
other terminal applications all the time.  However, if the device is truly
RS-232 rather than 422/423, it's nominally out of spec past 50 meters and
possibly won't go past 9600 baud.

Regards.
--
-Chuck