Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 1997 20:16:12 -0600
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@nterprise.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: serial console: CPU reset?

On Tuesday September 23, 1997, Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
 had this to say about "serial console: CPU reset?":

> I recently saw someone assert on an ISP mailing list:
>
> > There are *NO* PC based UNIXes that allow the CPU to be reset via a serial
> > connection because the machines simply do not have this ability.
>
> Seems a fair concern: I haven't been picking on FreeBSD boxes via
> a serial console, and I was condering if he was correct...   If he
> is, how 'close' can one get to this capability?

I think Michael Dillon (the poster of the original quote on inet-access)
is totally hosed on this one.  Isn't that what the kernel config option of

options		COMCONSOLE		#prefer serial console

is supposed to do?  In other words, if I have this option in my kernel and
hook up a modem to my serial port and have kermit running, can't I dial
into a freebsd box and administrate it just like I'm sitting directly at
the console???

--
John-David Childs (JC612)       Enterprise Internet Solutions
System Administrator            @denver.net/Internet-Coach/@ronan.net