Date:      Sat, 25 May 2002 22:18:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Leonard Chung <leonard@chung.yikes.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cirrus PD6729 Still Broken?

FreeBSD used to support the Cirrus Logic PD6729 pc card chipset fine until
around 4.3 when the new PCCARD got merged in.

Since then, trying to boot a machine with that chipset causes the machine
to hang once pccardd is started and a card is inserted. The man page has
stated for a while that support might be broken "at the moment."

I have an old laptop with this chipset that I'd love to be able to make
into an IPSEC wireless AP using FreeBSD.

I've been able to get an NE2000 working on the machine by booting into
DOS and running its driver program to start up card services and
initialize the card with an interrupt and IO address. I can then soft
restart into FreeBSD and use those values with the ed driver directly.

However, I can't use this work around with Orinocos since they don't have
a DOS mode driver. Has anybody been able to come up with any
other workarounds that can be done to initialize an Orinoco on a machine
with broken pc card support?

Is the pc card support something that might be fixed in the near future
(if ever)?

Leonard