Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 2004 00:32:39 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail 8.12.11 from FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE ignores many config directives

On 2004-09-07 13:20, Karl Swartz <karl@kls2.com> wrote:
> I just upgraded from Sendmail 8.12.3 (from FreeBSD 4.6) to a brand new
> FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE install including Sendmail 8.12.11.  I tweaked a
> few pathnames in my .mc file but otherwise tried to use the same one.
> Many things weren't working.  I've found workarounds for some, but they
> are hacks, and others simply don't work.  I don't really know if this
> is a sendmail problem or something weird about the FreeBSD port of it.
>
> What follows is a list of what's broken.
>
> FEATURE(dnsbl, `rbl-plus.mail-abuse.org')
> FEATURE(dnsbl, `sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org')

The dnsbl macro now takes 3 arguments IIRC (wrapping inserted by me to
avoid posting one huge line):

    % grep dnsbl /etc/mail/freebsd.mc
    dnl FEATURE(dnsbl, `blackholes.mail-abuse.org',
        `"550 Mail from " $&{client_addr} " rejected, \
        see http://mail-abuse.org/cgi-bin/lookup?" $&{client_addr}')

> define(`confCW_FILE', `-o /etc/mail/sendmail.cw')
>
>    This has no effect, though I found that /etc/mail/local-host-names is
>    being consulted so that's a viable workaround.  I didn't try removing
>    the -o and I can't recall what that does, so perhaps that was the
>    problem.

Hmmm, this works perfectly here.  Are you sure there isn't something
else that is wrong, i.e. your /etc/mail/sendmail.cf being generated from
the wrong .mc file or something?

> FEATURE(relay_based_on_MX)
>
>    It appears that this is being ignored.

See above.  It's not normal for Sendmail to ``ignore'' all this stuff.

- Giorgos