Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 14:15:14 +0000
From:      "Frederick G. Arioli" <frederick.arioli@lmms.lmco.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   TAR command from SGI ws to BSD

I downloaded some Fortran source code (VAX) from 6250 bpi tape to a
Silicon Graphics UNIX workstation.  I then tar'd the contents of the SGI
hard drive onto 4mm DAT.  I took the DAT to my BSD box at home and
attempted to read the tape with tar -x.  I get a message that BSD can't
recognize the format.  Do I need to reorder the byte order to read the
tape from BSD?
Are there any Fortran 77 compilers around that will run on BSD?