Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 1999 18:03:09 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        James Holtom <jholtom@netforce.net>, Gustavo Rios <grios@ddsecurity.com.br>
Cc:        Ben Schumacher <bs@cyalchemy.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wdc1 problem

On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 12:52:32PM +0000, James Holtom wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, Gustavo Rios wrote:

> > > My apologies, I didn't spot that :( (must get some new glasses)
> > >
> > > OK, is the secondary IDE disabled in your BIOS? I know I can do
> > > that with mine (Award 4.51PGM)/
> > >

> > No! It's enabled!
> > I can use the hard drive in the secondary IDE from any other OS, like
> > Linux and/or Win98, only freebsd is giving me problem.
> >
> > CAn you help me?
>
> Not personally, except to add an extra voice as suffering exactly the
> same problem. ie FreeBSD cannot see the second controller, but
> Win95[spit] has no problem. (Using an ABIT BH6 rev1.0)

OK, try putting the CD-ROM drive on the secondary channel. The
ATAPI standard includes rules as to allowable configurations. A
common one is that an ATAPI device should not be a slave without
a master. Many systems ship with the CD as the secondary slave but
no secondary master (HD or CD) which causes problems to FreeBSD,
moving the device to the secondary master solves the problem. Just
because Windows supports "illegal" configurations doesn't make them
right.

So, Gustav, move your CD to the secondary slave with your 2 HDs as
primary and secondary master or put both HDs on the primary channel
and the CD as secondary master. James, if you've only got a CD on
the secondary channel make sure it's jumpered as master, not slave.

> The only difference is that I had upgraded my BIOS from one that did
> allow the 2nd IDE channel to be disabled (from claiming an IRQ) to one
> that did not. So I decided to roll-back to the original `saved' image --
> in case the 2nd channel wasn't properly enabled -- unfortunately I ended
> up with a very dead motherboard for my trouble. Sigh.
>
> I am about to get the BIOS reflashed either by a friend (if poss), or
> failing that by paying the manufacturer.
>
> If it is a config error in FreeBSD, I'll be wanting the latest possible
> BIOS image -- otherwise I'll be wanting an earlier image...
>
> Cheers,
>
> James

STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.