Date:      Fri, 3 Dec 1999 02:42:14 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Thomas Stromberg <tstromberg@rtci.com>, "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: semi-HEADS-UP (dumpon now wants raw disk device)

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

> > You must not have a very current -current :-).  /dev/wd0 is a character
> > device (with the same major/minor and character as /dev/rwd0) in -current:
> >
> > crw-r-----  1 root  operator    3, 0x00010002 Dec  1 04:34 rwd0
> > crw-r-----  1 root  operator    3, 0x00010002 Dec  1 04:34 wd0
>
> Just doing a 'make world' won't do this; indeed, make world doesn't
> even install the new ./MAKEDEV.  What steps do you use to keep your
> device nodes up to date?

I use cp to install MAKEDEV after merging it into my version.  Since
I read all the diffs when I merged it, I know what changed :).  I
haven't actually remade all my disk devices, since that would break
testing of old kernels without changing userland.  I made the above
devices in /dev/z to get some ls output to put in the mail.

Bruce