Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 09:40:53 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do you recognise 2nd IDE master disk?

On Monday, 12 February 2001 at 20:39:30 +1000, Greg Black wrote:
> I added a second IDE disk to a 4.1-R box, using its secondary IDE
> channel, with the disk jumpered as a master (as per instructions
> from various sources).  I rebuilt the kernel with the following:
>
> # ATA and ATAPI devices
> device          ata0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
> device          ata1    at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
> device          ata
> device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
> device          atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives
> #device         atapifd                 # ATAPI floppy drives
> #device         atapist                 # ATAPI tape drives
> options         ATA_STATIC_ID           #Static device numbering
> #options        ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA    #Enable DMA on ATAPI devices
>
> (I had previously left the "device ata1" line commented out when
> there was one disk plus the CDROM.)
>
> But I seem to have done something wrong, as only the original
> disk and CDROM are seen on boot.
>
> Can somebody please tell me the magic to get the second disk
> recognised?

That should be correct.  If the drive is not being recognized, it's
probably a hardware issue.  You do have the controller enabled in the
BIOS, do you?

The answers about "have you created the devices" are bogus.  At boot
time the drive should be recognized whether or not you have the device
nodes.  You'll need the device nodes in order to access them, of
course.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.