Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 2000 01:10:16 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Carlos Andrade <carlos@rjstech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: right

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 03:31:13PM -0700, Carlos Andrade wrote:
> So the email list found some typo's (which is good, the typos bad).

And more below, or are these the same ones?

> And I
> have my machine on a crossover cable, life is peachy right?  wrong...
>
> for some reason I cannot get dns to work.  I can send email and receive
> email since I was able to hobble the ip's of my pop and smtp servers.  So I
> look at my rc.firewall (attached) and well I cannot figure out why I can do
> things using IP's but not names.  Its one thing for me to do this, its
> another for the rest of the office to do it.  For that matter I don't know
> of the top of my head the ip for www.yahoo.com.  So I beseech this email
> list, what am I doing wrong?
[snip]

> case ${firewall_type} in
> [Ss][Ii][Mm][Pp][Ll][Ee])
>
> # I deleted open and client, too many conflicts
> # so we go directly in to simple
> # This is a prototype setup for a simple firewall.  Configure this
> # machine as a named server and ntp server, and point all the machines
> # on the inside at this machine for those services.
> ############
>
> 	# set these to your outside interface network and netmask and ip
> 	oif="xl0"
> 	onet="206.249.222.0"
> 	omask="255.255.255.224"
> 	oip="206.249.222.226"
>
> 	# set these to your inside interface network and netmask and ip
> 	iif="xl1"
> 	inet="192.168.1.0"
> 	imask="255.255.255.224"
> 	iip="192.168.1.225"

Errr... These numbers do not all agree. Your IP address is outside of
your network, or your netmask is too small, or your network is in the
wrong place.

> 	#dns servers
> 	#dns1="204.90.111.2"
> 	#dns2="205.137.48.5"

[snip]

> # UPD STUFF
>
> 	# Allow access to our DNS
> 	#${fwcmd} add 2900 pass upd from any to ${dns1} 53 setup
> 	#${fwcmd} add 3000 pass upd from any to ${dns2} 53 setup
> 	#${fwcmd} add 3100 pass udp from ${dns1} 53 to any
> 	#${fwcmd} add 3200 pass udp from ${dns2} 53 to any
>
> 	${fwcmd} add 2900 pass udp from any 53 to ${oip}

OK, this should let DNS back to your gateway.

> 	${fwcmd} add 3000 pass udp from ${oip} 53 to any
> 	${fwcmd} add 3100 pass tcp from any to ${oip} 53 setup

These say that you want your gateway (or perhaps a machine behind it)
to function as a DNS server?

I don't see a rule allowing the port 53 traffic onto you private
net. Nor do I see a rule allowing DNS out. Why did you use different
rules rather than fix the problems with the ones you have commented
out?

> 	# SMB - allow local traffic
> 	${fwcmd} add 3300 pass udp from any to any 137-139 via ${iif}

Ouch. Why?

> 	# Allow NTP queries out in the world BUT we do it like this
> 	# allow server-server on outside interface
> 	# allow client-server on inside interface
> 	${fwcmd} add 3400 pass udp from any 123 to any 123 via ${oif}
> 	${fwcmd} add 3500 pass udp from any 123 to any 123 via ${iif}
> 	${fwcmd} add 3600 pass udp from any to any 123 via ${iif}

Rule 3500 is a subset of rule 3600. Rule 3400 and 3500 could be made
into a single,