Date:      Mon, 04 Feb 2002 20:42:40 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need a simple Berkeley Packet Filter state machine `program'

In message <20020205144142.R1599@k7.mavetju.org>, you wrote:

>On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 06:29:53PM -0800, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>> I could probably figure out how to do this all myself, but my sense
>> of it is that it would take me some time, and I'd have to look at a LOT
>> of other BPF examples first.
>>
>> If somebody who is already fluent in the BPF state machine language
>> could just give me the appropriate state-machine code, that would
>> probably save me quite a lot of time.
>
>If you like, you can use the ngrep-lib there is in the ports-collection.
>It uses the same syntax as you can use with tcpdump for its filter
>and has callback functions for when it receives data. See
>/usr/ports/net/ngrep-lib or http://www.mavetju.org/networking/programming.php

Thank you!  Thanks you!  Thanks you!

I think this will fit the bill nicely.

(I have to confess that I didn't even know about the tcpdump language
that can be used to specify a filter until about 5 minutes _after_ I
made my earlier post.  But as soon as I saw the part of the tcpdump
man page describeing that, I said to myself ``Yea!  _THAT'S_ what I
need!''  Now you tell me that that's available in a library form.
That's _perfect_ for what I want to do.)