Date:      Thu, 30 May 1996 16:22:31 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        "Francisco Reyes" <reyes01@ibm.net>
Subject:   Re: What to include in hardware compatibility list?

> One possible approach is to simply have a list of hardware that works
> with FreeBSD without any special installation procedures. This does not
> mean that later on we could include other hardware. The possible

     This is a good idea, but I think that it would also be useful to
include information on hardware that could CURRENTLY cause problems,
e.g.:

* Mach64 vs serial ports.

* Hardware with buggy or suboptimal drivers (3COM 3C509 boards?).

However, any such information would have to include:

1. A datestamp.  A listing that's older than six months or more could be
   suspect (this would also be a great incentive for keeping the
   listings up-to-date ;-).

2. The OS revision(s) (2.1R, 2.2-960321-SNAP, etc.) to which it is known
   to apply.  Many bugs that are in 2.1R will probably be fixed in 2.2.  ;-)

3. Workarounds.  ;-)

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.