Date:      Wed, 2 Sep 1998 00:55:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de
Cc:        joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de, joki@shire.domestic.de, galatalt@stuy.edu, dfr@nlsystems.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 and ELF

>>> This is due to the fact that I am unaware of a portable way to check
>>> if we're on an ELF system. Bear in mind it might be a prehistoric
>>> -stable version, so it isn't just a question of `objformat`.
>> Am I confused?  What's wrong with looking for #ifdef __ELF__ ?
> The files being discussed are processed by cpp. __ELF__ if set only
> when cpp is called from the compiler front end cc.

What if you use cc -E instead?  I've seen many shell tests, so I may
as well add my own, which doesn't depend on our ELF's current
idiosyncrasies quite as much (suitable mechanisms should be
substituted for printf if non-BSD usability is desired):

VAR=`printf '#ifdef __ELF__\nelf\n#else\na.out\n#endif' | cc -P -E -`

Happy hacking,
joelh

--
Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org - http://www.wp.com/piquan