Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2012 11:14:42 +0100
From:      "Dave B" <dave@g8kbv.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTP oddness, over SSH session.

On 12 Apr 2012 at 11:28, Frank Bonnet wrote:

> > "Dave B" <dave@g8kbv.demon.co.uk> writes:
> >
> >> Hi, ordinarily perhaps yes, if I could only figure out how to set
> >> it up on the FreeBSD box.  As always, the "Manuals" though no doubt
> >> correct and complete as a "reference", are no good to people who
> >> don't already know "How To" do it.
> >
> > There is not much to set up. Just make sure you have sshd running.
> > You can then just sftp (or any other client that supports sftp) to
> > connect to port 22, or whatever port sshd is listening on.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> >
> > - Frank
>
> why not ftp over TLS ? like proftpd or pure-ftpd can do ?

Hi.

Because as yet, I have not figured out how to get ProFTP or PureFTP
installed and WORKING without bricking the machine.  There is no step by
step "how to" (that I've yet found) with also guidance as to how to work
arround the inevitable issues that occur.   The man pages are just
command references, not an instruction book on how to use them.  Sorry.

Hence, I'm using the native OS's inbuilt FTP facility.  Even that took me
3 days to get going in the first instance.  (file Access rights issues
and poor, even if correct, documentation.)

Regards.

Dave Baxter.

-- Help for Hero's European Rally 2012 participant.
Please help by visiting:-
http://www.bmycharity.com/TeamSnowball
For any/all donations, all 100% goes to H4H.