Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 1996 06:23:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Jay L. West" <jlwest@tseinc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sup problems

I installed sup 2.0 on 2.1R and tried to use it to update to stable. Most
went fine, but there were two groups that would hang up during the sup. I
commented those two groups out of my supfile and tried again and all went
well. I then uncommented those two and commented the rest and tried sup
again (to re-try just the two that failed). Both groups locked up at exactly
the same file. I don't remember which groups were causing the lockup, but I
know one of them was usrsbin. I was using sup2.freebsd.org, but tried others
as well.

This is not a critical problem; my workaround was to get the two dirs from
freebsd.org via ftp (get usrsbin.tar.Z for example) and then the make world
went fine.

Two questions:
1) Does anyone know why two groups would consistently lock up at the same file?
2) I want to use sup in the future, but I suspect it doesn't know that I
'went around it's back' and got the two missing dirs. Is there a way I can
let sup on my end know that my end is up to date so it will just track
changes from now on?

Thanks in advance!
Jay West