Date:      Wed, 21 Sep 2011 09:05:47 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Modulok <modulok@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to find out which version of PF a given box is using...

--------------enigA3279DBFB7E7B24923F4BCD9

On 21/09/2011 08:34, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 21/09/2011 07:34, Modulok wrote:
>> Is there an easy way to find out what version of PF a given FreeBSD ve=
rsion is
>> using? Currently I'm doing this:
>>
>>     grep -iE '\bpf\b' /usr/src/UPDATING
>>
>> Just wondering if I'm missing something. I didn't see any '--version'
>> flag in pfctl.
>=20
> Uh -- bpf is a different thing to PF.  bpf is Berkeley Packet Filter
> which isn't anything to do with firewalling, but used eg. by tcpdump to=

> select certain packets from the wire.  As far as I know, bpf doesn't
> have a separate version number; it just uses the OS version number.
> It's been part of BSD Unices since dinosaurs roamed the earth.

One of these days I'll learn not to send e-mail before coffee.  Please
ignore the above -- red herring.

> PF is the firewalling code imported from OpenBSD.  Again, it's part of
> the base system in OpenBSD so it just uses the OpenBSD version number.
> Every so often there will be a new import from OpenBSD -- I believe mos=
> released versions of FreeBSD are using PF from OpenBSD 4.2, but there i=
> an update to OpenBSD 4.mumble in the works for the upcoming FreeBSD 9.0=

> release.  You'ld have to check the commit history in CVS or SVN to be s=
ure.

In fact, the last import listed as such in the CVS history was from
OpenBSD 4.1 but that was around 2007 when FreeBSD was on version 6.x --
long time ago.  There's been plenty of updates since (which, IIRC, made
the FreeBSD code pretty much equivalent to what is in OpenBSD 4.2), but
no wholesale reimport until about 2 months ago, when OpenBSD 4.5 code
was imported into head.

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=3Drevision&revision=3D223637

AFAIK, that is not a candidate for MFC to stable/8 or earlier, as it
modifies KBIs.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20