Date:      Fri, 01 Oct 1999 15:20:19 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "Scott Hess" <scott@avantgo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommendations for FreeBSD RAID subsystems?

>I'm looking to put together a RAID subsystem to be run under FreeBSD.  In
>the near-term, it won't be too large, but I'll need to be able to add
>drives as things progress - preferrably on-the-fly, but I'm willing to
>accept a couple minutes of downtime if that's what it takes.  I'm thinking
>to start with five drives (2 filesystems on RAID1 mirrors, plus a single
>hot spare), though I could see later having perhaps 25 drives or so (still
>probably in small RAID1 mirrors with hot spares).
>
>The best, in fact the _only_, info I've seen in this area is
>ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/archive-info/wcarchive.txt.  It pretty much agrees with
>what I've seen in the past.  The Mylex 960SXI SCSI-SCSI controller seems
>pretty reasonable for the job, since you get things like the serial port
>management console and the like (I don't want to put 25 drives in an array
>that you have to reboot to NT to reconfigure!).
>
>Does anyone have anything to add to this?  Other capable controllers, good
>vendors to purchase from, good/dense chassis, etc?  Has anyone ever used
>the dual-controller failover stuff mentioned in the specs with FreeBSD?
>How about the dual-host failover stuff?  Anyone willing to describe the
>process of noting a failure, and marking a newly inserted drive as hot
>spare?

   My company, TeraSolutions, builds custom RAID storage systems and I'd be
happy to put together a quote for you.
   Although wcarchive is currently using the DAC960SXI, I haven't been very
happy with its performance and have since moved to the Viper II series of
controllers from CMD.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.