Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 1998 18:12:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, gkshenaut@ucdavis.edu, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEVFS (was Re: More problems with new slice code )

On Sun, 15 Mar 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> > Will it still be possible to create/use device nodes with mknod, etc,
> > elsewhere in the file system?
>
> No.  The whole 'major/minor' number concept will ultimately be phased
> out, and device identifiers will be dynamically assigned.  This
> basically makes static device nodes unuseful.
>
> Having said that, it will indeed be possible to have device nodes
> appear in more than one place, and have different permissions etc. in
> those separate places, which is I think what you are getting at
> (chrooted environments, etc.)

This is, indeed, what I had in mind -- it might be desirable to have a
chroot'd daemon have access to a device.  I was also wondering about
NFS-exported devices, but with a devfs that is not really an issue.

> If you're interested in getting a taste of this (and providing valuable
> feedback early in the picture), there are patches for -current which
> impement large portions of this already.  See
> http://www.freebsd.org/~julian for more.

I may give that a try on one of our -current test machines in a week or
so -- the -current Coda port is underway, and seeing how /dev/cfs0 (the
coda device for Vice<->Kernel communication) behaves dynamically would be
useful.  Thanks for the information; this sounds like a great feature for
reducing administrative load and preventing nasties :).

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University http://www.cmu.edu/
SafePort Network Services  http://www.safeport.com/
robert@fledge.watson.org   http://www.watson.org/~robert/