Date:      Sat, 04 Nov 2000 19:24:45 -0500
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Rink Springer <rink@springer.cx>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KLD's on ISA bus: how?

Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <3A044899.9020508@springer.cx> Rink Springer writes:
> : I got the stuff to compile et al, but I cannot get the darned thing to
> : run as a KLD. FreeBSD doesn't appear to try to probe for the interface
> : :(. When I tell FreeBSD it's a PCI thing (instead of ISA), it probes for
> : it...
> :
> : How can I fix this? I want my driver to auto-try all parallel port
> : addresses, but without having to mark it as a PCI device... anyone?
>
> In -current you can just add it to the hints file:
>
> hint.foo.0.at="isa"
>
> Unless you've made it a child of the ppb bus, in which case it should
> just work because that bus is, afaik, self identifying.
>
> You may also be able to get this to work with an identify routine if
> it will be at a fixed address.

Maybe I'm missing something but I think that the point of the identify
routine is to discover this address whatever it is, so it does not
have to be fixed. In 4.x if you say in config file

foo at isa

and provide the identify routine in the driver the result should be
the same. The "ep" driver does that using a proprietary probe
procedure.

-SB