Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 02:22:51 +0100
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Good distributed app technique for Java FreeBSD?

Hello all,

I'm trying my hand at some ideas for a distributed Java application.  At the
moment, I'm considering a few possible solutions, but I'm not sure which
would would best on FreeBSD.

Here is a brief example of what I would like to try as a proof of
concepts, based on a possible scenario:

We have data acquisition instruments with a controlling host
computer.  Imagine these in a lab, connected to the network.

Somewhere else in the building, or perhaps even outside on the
internet, is a server that has the proprietary processing algorithms
that I could charge for by use.  This web service would be
exposed to all customers, regardless of platform.  Other companies could
even publish similar services as well.

Now, imagine a scientist in their office in the first building.
They have an applet which connects to the component controlling
the instrument, gets the data, and sends it to the outside service
for processing.
<<<

Would it make sense to make the instrument controller an EJB?  How
about the processing web service?  Or should one or both be servlets?  Would
Jini be better here, or maybe just plain RMI?

I'm trying to balance flexibility with performance.  At this point, I'm not
going to worry too much about the size of the data being transferred, though
that could become an issue for large data acquisitions.

jm
--
My other computer is your Windows box.