Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 2009 19:04:13 +0100
From:      Frank Staals <frankstaals@gmx.net>
To:        Grant Peel <gpeel@thenetnow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gname

Grant Peel wrote:
> Wow,
>
> After a fresh install of FreeBSD 6.4, (with Xorg) I tried installing Gnome, and I get a "stop" during build, Filesystem Full!
>
> Is Gname really that big? or did I miss doing something?

Well it is big, but since you are installing from a clean system all the
gnome dependencies will also have to install their dependencies and so
on. So basically you have to install a *lot* of ports which may take
quite some space/time if you do not clean up nicely. Use 'make install
clean' or 'make install distclean' to install your ports (if you didn't
allready) that will order the make process to remove the files it uses
during it's build (and distclean also cleans the downloaded distfiles in
the distfiles dir )
>  Doing a du -h -d1 on /usr shows"

> 7.0G ports.
> 1.8G local

Check inside ports what is taking up the most space, most likely your
distfiles dir is huge as well as the build directories inside a lot of
ports itself. You can manually remove the distfiles for ports you
allready installed from /usr/ports/distfiles. If that does not help
enough also remove some of the work directories for the ports you
installed allready but are not cleaned by make yet and resume your
build. (so if for example you see gnome-session is allready installed (
pkg_info -Ex gnome ) remove /usr/ports/x11/gnome-session/work/ )

Regards,

--

- Frank