Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 1999 08:11:09 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new sigset_t and upgrading: a proposal

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
> >
> > > Sub-problem A (syscalls) can be easily handled if the syscalls are added
> > > to a -stable kernel.
> >
> > Wrong. I CANNOT rebuild the kernel that runs my build machine.
>
> What are you saying?

It's not my machine. It's a production machine. My target machines are too
small/slow to do their own builds. I need to do their builds on the build
server.

In other words, build tools need to be capable of being run on "older" kernels.
It is permissable to compile special versions for the purpose. But they will be
used ONLY to build that particular target. They cannot affect other users.