Date:      Thu, 03 Aug 2000 11:29:19 -0400
From:      Jared Chenkin <chenkinj@voyager.bxscience.edu>
To:        Marty Cawthon <mrc@ChipChat.ne.jp>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Move passwd info from 3.5-S to 4.1-S

In message <20000803151326W.mrc@ChipChat.ne.jp>, Marty Cawthon writes:
>I will boot the 3.5 system, mount the 4.1 hard drive root at /mnt/oroot
>and "cp /etc/passwd /mnt/oroot/etc/passwd".  With this I hope to avoid

I doubt that you want to do that..
# cp /mnt/orooot/etc/passwd /etc/passwd
Unless you want the new password file on your 3.5 box :)

>any peculiar "file locking" of these files once the 4.1 system is running.
>
>Two questions:
>  1) Are these (4) files sufficient or are other files needed?
>     (I realize that /etc/group is also important)

Yeah, the group file has some significant importance :)
Depending on what your 3.5 server was doing you may want to compare
/etc/inetd.conf and other such files, like your ppp config files if
you use ppp, etc etc Plus any config files for ports that may have build
and use on your old system.  (check /usr/local/etc)
I am assuming that /home is on a separate hd or at least a separate slice so that
it can be mounted when you switch to the 4.1 hd.  I am also assuming that
these are in the same machine..? I don't think that was clear.

>  2) Can these files simply be moved from a 3.5 system to a 4.1 system,
>     or is there a change of file format?

The password and group file haven't change formats.  There may be new groups
or different group names with the same gids that you may want to
look into.  Read the docs on updating with make world (after the actual make,
it explains stuff about how to sync the appropriate system config files. This
may or may not apply, but its worth checking out if you havent already.)

>I read the online handbook, and the section regarding users did not
>describe this situation.  Also perused the man pages.
>
>Marty Cawthon
>ChipChat

Good luck!

Live Large,