Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 18:59:41 +1000 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Graeme=20Chambers?= <transform_bsd@yahoo.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sony ATAPI CDRW problems

Hello,

I recently installed FreeBSD 4.3 and am having a bit
of trouble with my Sony CRX140E (32x8x4) cdrw drive.

When I try to access this drive or my dvd drive (on
another channel), I get extreme pauses with kernel
messages:

ata0: resetting devices... done
acd0: read data overrun 18/0

over and over until the system hangs (or pauses for
5-10mins so I reboot).  I also have linux on this
machine and it doesn't have any trouble with it.. I
assume the ide drivers wouldn't differ significantly.

Can anyone tell me how I might fix this problem?

If it's useful, I have an Abit VP6 (using the
VT82C686B) with 4 drives on the controller.

thanks in advance,
graeme